Sophia Sandhu • MD, FAAD
As a native Southern Californian, Dr. Sandhu is a proud graduate of UCLA, having majored in psychobiology. She participated in UCLA’s honors program and was inducted into both Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Lambda Delta honor societies. She then completed her medical degree at Eastern Virginia Medical School and did her general medicine internship at Rush University Medical Center. Dr. Sandhu was proud to return home and complete her dermatology residency at UCLA. From 2017-2018, while she was a resident at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Dr. Sandhu was honored to serve as chief resident. Dr. Sandhu was also awarded the Women’s Dermatologic Society mentorship, which allowed her to complete a challenging adult and pediatric medical dermatology elective at UCSF.
Dr. Sandhu also received the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery Preceptorship award via which she received additional high-level training in cosmetic and surgical procedures. Throughout her medical career, Dr. Sandhu has co-authored numerous journal articles and presented her research at various local meetings and national dermatology conferences. She feels passionate about the importance of knowledge-sharing across the profession.
University of California, Los Angeles
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Rush University Medical Center
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Presentations & Publications
- In progress — Umar S, David CV, Castillo JR, Queller J, Sandhu S. Novel Surgical Excision Approaches to Improve Cosmesis and Hairline Shape in Larger Acne Keloidalis Nuchae Lesions. Submitted: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal.
- In progress — Lee, DJ, Hogeling M, Yoo KY, Sandhu, S. Dermatology board review questions for an American Board of Pediatrics board review book by Oxford University Press. Submitted.
- 2019 — Talebi-Liasi F, Sandhu S. Rare presentation of disseminated follicular lymphoma as an ill-defined reticular patch over the scalp and forehead. JAAD Case Rep. 2019 Apr 2;5(4):319-322.
- 2018 — Umar S, Castillo JR, David CV, Sandhu S. Patient selection criteria and innovative techniques for improving outcome and cosmesis in acne keloidalis nuchae lesion excision and primary closure. JAAD Case Rep. 2018 Dec 4;5(1):24-28.
- 2018 — Sandhu, S, Kang, A, Umar S, Novel Surgical Excision Approaches to Improve Cosmesis and Hairline Shape in Larger Acne Keloidalis Nuchae Lesions. Poster presentation at ASDS Annual Meeting. Phoenix, AZ.
- 2018 — Sandhu S, Kang A, Duffy D. Successful Treatment of Angiokeratomas of Fordyce Employing a 532 nm KTP Laser. Abstract published in the 2018 ASDS Annual Meeting Final Program Book.
- 2017 — Orange Palpebral Spots. Oral presentation at Los Angeles Metropolitan Dermatological Society Meeting. October 2017. Los Angeles, California
- 2017 — Sandhu S, Yuen M, Lee, DJ. Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm. Oral presentation at Pacific Dermatologic Association Annual Meeting San Francisco, CA.
- 2017 — Sandhu S, Jennifer Herrmann, MD, Jillian Roy, RN; Lisa Chipps, MD, MS. Treatment of Décolletage Photoaging with Microneedling Fractional Radiofrequency. Eposter presentation at the ASLMS Annual Conference. San Diego, CA.
- 2016 — Blastic plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm. Oral presentation at Los Angeles Metropolitan Dermatological Society November 2016 Meeting. Los Angeles, California
- 2016 — Cornelia de Lange Syndrome. Oral presentation at Los Angeles Metropolitan Dermatological Society February 2016 Meeting. Los Angeles, California.
- 2014 — Harvey VM, Patel H, Sandhu S, Wallington SF, Hinds G. Social determinants of racial and ethnic disparities in cutaneous melanoma outcomes. Cancer Control. 2014 Oct;21(4):343-9.
- 2013 — Bilateral Squamous Cell Carcinoma of lower eyelids. Poster presentation at Skin of Color Symposium Baltimore, Maryland
- 2013 — Social determinants of racial and ethnic disparities in cutaneous melanoma outcomes. Poster presentation at Skin of Color Symposium Baltimore, Maryland
- 2012 — EVMS Community Service Initiatives. Oral Presentation at the Department of Community Service (DOCS) Retreat. University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL.
- 2011 — Investigation of Isolation Precautions in a Pediatric Tertiary Care Center— Poster Presentation at Summer Scholars Research Day. Oral Presentation to Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters (CHKD) administration. Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA.