Congratulations on your decision to start isotretinoin! Isotretinoin is an excellent choice for permanent acne reduction. Here are some tips and instructions to help you get through your treatment.
• Take food with your isotretinoin capsule. It helps with the absorption and may make it more effective.
• Do not share your isotretinoin.
• Do not take any other medications with your isotretinoin. Call us before taking any over-the-counter or prescribed medications / antibiotics. Ibuprofen, NyQuil, Zyrtec, and Benadryl are generally safe while on isotretinoin.
• Do not give blood while on isotretinoin.
• Try to avoid extra vitamin or nutritional supplements while on isotretinoin.
• Do not use any harsh cleansers or any other acne medications while on isotretinoin.
• Eat a regular diet. There are no dietary restrictions.
• You can be out in the sun, but wear sunscreen SPF 30 or higher.
Other Helpful Tips For Side Effects:
Dry Lips and Nose: Aquaphor (over-the-counter) is excellent for dry lips. If you get a dry or bloody nose, apply the Aquaphor on a Qtip and apply it to the inside lining of your nose. You can do this numerous times daily.
Dry Skin: Cerave cream is excellent for dry skin. Your skin may be more sensitive in the sun, so additional sunblock may be a great idea as well.
Make sure to call us immediately with any headaches, vision changes, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, mood swings, or depression.
Still have questions about isotretinoin and accutane treatments? Call us at 310.205.3555 or 818.914.7546, email us, or click on the chat box on the right lower edge of your screen. We’d be happy to help!